Monday, March 14, 2011

The Orphan Calf and a Laboring Mama

So a couple of days ago, my kids were dying to go with their daddy to do chores.  That meant that if they wanted to go, that I also needed to go with so that I could supervise.  I'm glad I did.

We drove up the muddy road to the feed lot, when the husband spotted a cow that looked like she was ready to calve.


He was going to feed the orphaned baby calf, but when he saw this mama in "labor" he asked if I would feed the baby. I was so excited!

Cute little calf.

It got so excited to see us.  My husband has been the "mom" for a few days. He wasn't even scared of us.
Aw, even though he won't admit it, I think this cowboy was being so sweet to this baby.

So while the husband went up to get the birthing cow, I got to feed the baby orphan.



Pretty soon, the laboring mama cow saw us, and what do you know. She didn't want to birth in front of us, so she sucked that baby cow right back in. I'm not even kidding.

The husband going up to get her. See all the pregnant mamas? 

He brought her down and put her in her own delivery room. This is the face of a birthing woman...


Meanwhile, the dog started eating a placenta. Or at least I thought that's what it was.
Later my husband told me that was part of the prolapsed uterus from the other day. Sick.

And the kids would rather play in the mud. I mean, of course!

I tried to hide behind a fence, hoping that I could see this cow birth her calf, since she was so close. But no such luck. Apparently she still knew I was there and wanted her privacy. If only I could have made her understand that I'm a doula and I could rub her shoulders or something. I'm sure she would have been fine with that. Someday I want to see a birth. I guess they just happen too fast, when they do happen, and if they haven't happened, they won't if the cow knows you're sticking around. Pretty interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment