Friday, April 8, 2011

Gopher Bait

So yesterday, I decided to make a trip to town.  Not the close town, but the farther away town. I never know how people here distinguish that, but for some reason, whenever you say that you are going to "town" everyone knows which town you mean. I still have yet to figure that out and how it works. That's why I had to clarify it for you, because I do not believe that it is a universal understand. I think it's just something about living here.
For example, when I told my husband that I wanted to go to town today, he said, "Oh, well if you are going to town, then can you pick up something for the farm?"  Of course, why not. It's always good to consolidate our errands, especially when they are 45 minutes away.
I asked him what he needed. He told me that they had ordered gopher bait from the supply depot. Okaaay. So I had him write down where the supply depot was.
As I'm pulling out of the driveway this is what he said to me:
"Okay, hon. So gopher bait is basically poison. Ask them to load it into your trunk so you don't have to. They should give you 100 pounds. Under any circumstances, don't puncture the bag.  And if you decide to buy groceries or anything, I wouldn't put it next to the bait. Maybe pile them in the front seat or something."

I called back, "This sounds like a great thing for a pregnant woman to be doing along with her two toddlers!"

The risks you take for love.

So I went.  I pulled into the depot, stayed in my car, and popped my truck.  They loaded it. I never saw it.  I did buy groceries and they sat right next to me in the passenger's seat and under my kids' feet.

It's been 24 hours and we are all thankfully alive.

But the gophers? They soon will be dead.

2 comments:

  1. Natalie-

    I am not the best at following blogs in general, but every time I get on yours I find myself laughing. Thanks for the smiles.

    Love,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete