Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Lawn has been Mowed...

Last week, I got the exciting opportunity to mow our lawn for the first time, on the riding lawn mower.

Now, most people would be excited about this. I mean, it's a RIDING lawn mower! But I was not that excited about trying to handle that thing on the steep hill in our front yard. Plus, it was awful weather outside. It was cold and the wind was blowing like crazy.

So I bundled up (yes, my cowboy made fun of me) and went outside to mow. He showed me how to operate it and he laughed at me a little bit. I'm dumb when it comes to any kind of machinery! But after I figured out how to take the brake off, turn on the blade (?), and move it forward, I just got going.

I felt like I was on the tea-cup ride at Disneyland.

There is something wrong with the steering! It took me a while to figure out how to control it. I felt like a complete idiot. This was the first time since we've moved here that I was VERY glad that my neighbors were FAR away and could not see me!

And then what does my husband do? He pulls out his phone and takes a picture of me! I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry!

I went around the yard once and when I came back, my cowboy told me that I was driving too fast. I said, "Well, I didn't want to look amateur! I didn't wan to look dumb. But I guess I'll slow down." Then he told me that he wanted me to go back and forth across the lawn to make nice straight lines. He didn't want me to just mow around the edges in circles. Whatever. So I started doing that. Slight problem. It's annoying. I mean, you can't pivot a riding lawn mower like you can when you are pushing one. You know what I mean? So I had to circle around to come back and make a line the other way. I got tired of that really fast and decided that if he wanted me to mow the lawn, then I would do it my way. So I went in circles. It went by much faster and I was done in two and a half hours.

The wind, like I said, was awful! It also doesn't help that we have some patches of dirt in our lawn, so I would cut those up as I drove over and the dirt would swirl around me like crazy and get into my eyes! I'm a sissy. I was glad when I was done. So I had to take some pictures for you. It was nice of the sun to come out from behind the clouds when I was done.

Here is the lawn mower and the back yard. Do you see my nice straight lines? Well, sorta straight..
IMG_5190

And the front yard. Finally, everything is green!
IMG_5196

IMG_5195

And just so you feel bad for me, a picture of my irritated eye after I was done. Looking at this still makes them sting!
IMG_5202


1 comment:

  1. Your eyes are so pretty, even when they have been through trauma. I wouldn't have had ANY idea how to run that thing either, so don't feel bad. That is one HUGE yard! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete